June 07, 2011

Glazing

I found this frame at a yard sale over the weekend.  The original price tag said $99.99...I don't think so!  When I brought it home I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it but while sitting at work it hit me.  I had some "oops" paint that is the perfect turquoise that I would paint the frame and then I would glaze it with black to make the designs pop.
Here it is before:



I primed it and let it dry for about 30 minutes.  It was super hot and sunny outside so I figured that was long enough.  Then I hand painted it with the turquoise paint.  It would have been WAY easier to use spray paint but I have yet to find the perfect turquoise in a spray paint.  After that dried for about an hour I went to town with the glaze.
Some people buy "special" glaze but not me.  Who's got time to keep running to the store, or the money?!?!  I just use semi-gloss or high gloss paint mixed with a little bit of water.  That's it.  Nothing special about it.  Actually now that I think about it...the homemade kind is more special than the store bought kind.  Boo-yah.  

I had to work super quick because it was drying so fast.  I did a small section at a time.  You just paint it on pretty heavy and wipe it off with a damp rag.  Also, get ready for some ugly looking hands and finger nails.  The paint from the rag gets all over you.  I look a little gothic right now.

The finished project is so totally worth it though:

The piano bench was a yard sale find from this past Saturday.  It actually has storage for books!  I am so excited about it because before we had the bench seat sitting there and bleh, that did not look good there at all.  I am going to recover the faux leather that is on there now.  Stay tuned... (no pun intended)

Mozart was a yard sale find from about a month ago.  



 To the booth it goes...even though I really like it up there...

2 comments:

  1. New to your blog, but I'm in awe of all of your DIY skills!! Especially the glaze! I'm really interested in trying it your way (instead of buying special glaze) and I was wondering if you would mind telling the ratio of water to semi-gloss paint? You say a little bit of water, so I'm guessing it's not a 1:1 mix but I don't want to put too much water in and end up ruining my paint =/

    Thanks so much! Can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete